WISDOM TOOTH SURGERY WITH SEDATION
Dental sedation is a pain blocking method used to help achieve full relaxation during a dental procedure. As with any dental surgery, there is some expected discomfort associated with wisdom tooth removal. However, through anesthesia and sedation options, your dentist will take great care to make sure you do not experience any serious pain. Most wisdom tooth removal surgeries are performed under local anesthesia to numb the area, though, sedation is often a necessary addition for the patient to remain calm and comfortable during surgery.
Several factors are taken into consideration when choosing the best sedation option for each individual patient. These factors include:
- Current and past medical history
- Length of the procedure
- Personal pain threshold
- Dental anxiety/nervousness
There are several sedation options for wisdom tooth removal, ranging from minimal to moderate. The best way to determine which option is best for you is by scheduling a Wisdom Tooth Consultation with your dentist. At Natural Dentist Associates, we offer the following Sedation Dentistry options:
- Local Anesthesia: Your dentist may apply a topical anesthetic to numb the surface area prior to injecting a local anesthetic. Local anesthesia is an injection of medication, used to prevent pain in the area where dental treatment is needed by blocking nerves that sense or transmit pain. This injection numbs your mouth tissues.
- Nitrous Oxide: You inhale nitrous oxide (laughing gas) combined with oxygen through a mask that is placed over your nose. The gas helps you relax throughout the procedure. Your dentist has full control over the amount of nitrous oxide sedation you receive during the appointment. Laughing Gas is a popular sedation option because it has a fast application but also wears off quickly, and (in most cases) allows the patient to drive home on their own. Once Nitrous Oxide wears off, the patient is completely conscious and aware, much like waking up from a nap.
- Medical Cannabis: Due to it’s ability to combat dental anxiety and chronic pain, medical cannabis is a great sedation option for wisdom tooth removal. Once you have applied for your Maryland Medical Cannabis Card, you can schedule a consultation with one of our doctors to determine your eligibility for Medical Cannabis. With a doctor’s recommendation, you will be able to visit any Maryland Cannabis Dispensary to make a purchase. Medical Cannabis allows you to stay fully conscious, while helping you stay calm and relaxed during your wisdom tooth surgery.
- Oral Sedation: Oral sedation is typically administered by swallowing a pill and works well for patients who desire a lower dose of Dental Sedation. Because driving is prohibited while taking sedatives, you will need a ride to and from your appointment. Additionally, you will be asked not to eat or drink anything for 8 hours prior to the dental appointment. Once taken, the oral sedatives take an average of about 45 minutes to “kick in.” Once you are comfortably sedated, your sedation dentist will monitor your vital signs closely throughout the appointment. When your dental treatment is completed, you will be “woken up,” and begin roughly 30 minutes of recovery as the sedatives begin to wear off. Oral Sedation Dentistry does not involve an IV, and does not put the patient to sleep. The patient will remain awake, but in a completely relaxed state. This type of sedation creates a pleasant wisdom tooth removal experience.
- Full IV Sedation: IV Sedation can only be done by dentist who has been Certified by the Maryland Board for Sedation. Our sedation dentist, Dr. Kimberly Baer, has completed rigorous training in the areas of medicine, anesthesiology, emergency training and patient drug management. IV Sedation is our method of choice due to the high level of effectiveness and safety. Like oral sedation, you will need a ride to and from your appointment and will not be able to eat for 8 hours prior. At the start of the appointment, Dr. Baer may administer nitrous oxide (laughing gas) or an oral sedative to relax you prior to placing the IV. Once the IV is inserted, the IV drugs are administered in small amounts until the desired amount of sedation is achieved. Vital signs are continuously monitored throughout the IV Sedation appointment. Once the dental treatment is completed, you will be woken up and begin your recovery process. The patient is typically able to leave with a caretaker after 30 minutes of in-office recovery time. A wheelchair is provided to help you to the car following surgery. IV Sedation provides immediate results, and the dose can be altered at anytime during the appointment. IV Sedation is the ideal option for patients who experience extreme anxiety or fear of the dentist, as well as any patient who wants ultimate relaxation during their wisdom tooth removal surgery.
When people fear the dentist, they experience increased cortisol and adrenaline levels. The hormonal increases cause elevated heart rate, blood pressure, and a general fight or flight response. These systemic challenges can increase the chance of someone having a dental emergency, such as a heart attack, stroke, asthma attack, allergic reactions, and many other medical problems. A patient being comfortable during a dental procedure increases the success rate of the procedure and decreases the risk of possible complications. Schedule your wisdom tooth consultation today to see what sedation option is best for your needs.
We primarily serve Rockville, North Bethesda, Silver Spring, Wheaton, Potomac, Washington DC, Gaithersburg, Kensington, Germantown, Burtonsville, Laurel, Columbia and Northern Virginia (Mclean, Tysons Corner, Great Falls, Arlington ) but people travel from all over the country for our specialty and holistic dental services.