Medical cannabis-also called medical marijuana-uses the marijuana plant and/or the chemicals in it to treat diseases or conditions. The marijuana plant contains over 100 different chemicals. These chemicals are called cannabinoids, and each one has a different effect on the body. The main cannabinoids used in medicine are Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD).
Medical Cannabis is used to treat many conditions, including:
-Mental Health Conditions
-Cachexia (wasting syndrome)
Cannabinoids can be similar to chemicals that the body makes naturally, relating to appetite, pain, memory and movement. Because of these cannabinoids, medical cannabis has been shown to have extremely beneficial effects on several medical conditions.Many medications that are commonly prescribed to treat these medical conditions leave patients with unpleasant side effects or adverse reactions. Medical Cannabis is a wonderful treatment alternative for many patients.
Natural Dentist Associates is currently accepting new patients, including patients who are considering the use of medical cannabis for support with dental treatment.
Dr. Jennifer Tipograph is registered as an advisor with the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission (MMCC). Patients who have registered with the MMCC can schedule an appointment for consultation and screening to determine their candidacy for medical cannabis therapies.
A one-hour appointment is necessary for consultation and screening. Thanks to the most recent update from the MMCC, this appointment can now be completed from the comfort of your home.
Call us at 301-770-2270 to schedule your MMCC consultation today.
How To Get A Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission Card
REGISTER AS A PATIENT
What you will need:
- Valid email address
- Last four digits of your Social Security Number
- Electronic copy of a valid government-issued photo ID
- Proof of Maryland residency
- Electronic copy of a color photo, facing directly into the camera, with a plain white or off- white background.
NOTE: Once you have submitted an online application, a verification email will be sent to the email address provided on your application. You *MUST* click the verification link in the email to verify your account. Until you have verified your email address, your application is NOT complete and will NOT be reviewed by the commission.
SCHEDULE A MEDICAL CANNABIS
Once you are registered as a patient, you must schedule a certification appointment with a provider who is registered with the MMCC. This appointment can now be completed in-office or by telephone. You will receive your certification on the same day as your appointment.
NOTE: To schedule your certification appointment, you will need your MMCC-issued patient ID Number
When you are ready to schedule your certification appointment, call us at 301-770-2270 or click here to schedule online:
Once you have received a written certification from a registered provider, you are eligible to purchase medical cannabis at any Maryland dispensary.
NOTE: You will need to present your MMCC ID card at the time of purchase.
Printable list of all Maryland Dispensaries:
Medical marijuana is a plant-based medicine from the Cannabis Sativa or Cannabis Indica species with three major compounds: THC, CBD, and CBN. Humans have grown and consumed the flowering tops of the Cannabis plant (collectively known as “marijuana”) for thousands of years. The chemicals produced by the plant have been shown to have beneficial effects on several medical conditions. There are many people that do not respond well and/or have side effects to commonly prescribed medications for these conditions, where Cannabidiol/THC may provide an alternate treatment strategy.
Medical marijuana was legalized in Maryland in December 2017. A person interested in legally obtaining medical marijuana must receive a written recommendation issued by a Maryland Licensed Provider. At Natural Dentist Associates, we have three Maryland Licensed Providers joining the health community in offering these medical recommendations to Maryland residents who may be suffering from a broad range of dental conditions.
MOST COMMON MEDICAL CONDITIONS TREATED WITH MEDICAL MARIJUANA
- TMJ Pain
- Muscle Sprain
- Chronic Pain
- Sleep Disorders
- Must be a Maryland resident over the age of 18
- Must have completed an MMCC online application
- Must have received an approval email from MMCC
- Must have patient ID number provided in the approval email
- Must provide medical/dental records and any proof of diagnosis with a debilitating condition
- Allegany Medical Marijuana Dispensary-Cumberland, MD
- Grow West Cannabis Company-Cumberland, MD
Anne Arundel County
- Nature’s Medicine-Crofton, MD
- Green Point Wellness-Linthicum Heights, MD
- Greenlight Therapeutics-Gambrills, MD
- Mana Supply Company-Edgewater, MD
- Mission Dispensary-Catonsville, MD
- Mission Dispensary-Baltimore, MD
- Harvest-Towson, MD
- Blair Wellness-Baltimore, MD
- AmediCanna Dispensary-Halethorpe, MD
- Herben Legends- Towson, MD
- Greenwave-Solomons, MD
- Purple Peake-Denton, MD
- Herbology-Westminster, MD
- The Dispensary-Westminster, MD
- Nature’s Care & Wellness-Perryville, MD
- PharmKent-Elkton, MD
- Zen Leaf- Waldorf, MD
- Chesapeake Apothecary-White Plains, MD
- Dispensary Works-White Plains, MD
- Sunburst Pharm-Cambridge, MD
- GLeaf-Frederick, MD
- Kannavis-Urbana, MD
- Euphoria Wellness-New Market, MD
- Wellness Institute of Maryland-Frederick, MD
- Rise Dispensaries-Joppa, MD
- True Wellness-Aberdeen, MD
- Rev Canna-Abingdon, MD
- Four Green Fields-Street, MD
- Zen Leaf-Jessup, MD
- Nature’s Medicine-Ellicott City, MD
- Remedy-Columbia, MD
- Greenhouse-Ellicott City, MD
- Mission Dispensary-Glenmont, MD
- Mission Dispensary-Rockville, MD
- Zen Leaf-Germantown, MD
- Harvest-Rockville, MD
- Peake Releaf-Rockville, MD
- Liberty Dispensary-Rockville, MD
- Health for Life-Bethesda, MD
- Bloom Medicinals-Gaithersburg, MD
- Potomac Holistics-Potomac, MD
- Herbiculture-Burtonsville, MD
- Herbifi-Silver Spring, MD
Prince George’s County
- Revolution Leaf-Laurel, MD
- Haven-Brandywine, MD
- Salvera-Bowie, MD
- Mary & Main-Capitol Heights, MD
- AltPharm-Suitland, MD
Queen Anne’s County
- Ash & Ember-Centreville, MD
St. Mary’s County
- Southern Maryland Relief-Mechanicsville, MD
- Kind Therapeutics-Hagerstown, MD
- Maryland Health & Wellness Center-Hagerstown, mD
- Peninsula Alternative Health-Salisbury, MD
- Positive Energy-Ocean City, MD
- Hi-Tide-Ocean City, MD
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to register as a patient?
Any Maryland resident whose provider recommends medical cannabis as a treatment option for a qualifying medical condition is eligible to register with the Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission (MMCC) as a patient.
What are the qualifying medical conditions?
MMCC qualifying medical conditions include cachexia, anorexia, wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, anxiety, severe nausea, seizures, severe or persistent muscle spasms,glaucoma,post-traumatic stress disorder, or another severe chronic medical condition for which other treatments have not been effective.
What forms of identification are accepted?
- Driver’s license
- State issued photo Identification card
- Military ID (both front and back)
- US Passport
If the identification provided is not a Maryland driver’s license or MVA ID Card and/or does not list your current address, you will need to provide TWO of the following additional documents as proof of your current Maryland address:
- MVA registration card or title
- Utility, telephone or cable TV bill
- Bank account statement
- Property tax bill
- Mortgage statement or proof of home ownership (Deed, Title, Bill of Sale)
- Major credit card bill (Visa, MasterCard, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.)
- Residential rental contract (lease or rental contract between landlord and tenant which
includes all signatures).
- Selective Service Card
- Federal, state or local government mail (ie. Social Security, social services)
- Car insurance policy
All documents provided MUST:
- include the applicant’s name AND address
- not be from the same agency (i.e. not two documents from the cable company)
- be dated within the past 90 days
What are the guidelines for the electronic photo?
- Facing the camera
- Neutral facial expression or natural smile
- Taken within the last 6 months
- Plain or off-white background
- Both eyes open
- No hats, head coverings, sunglasses or dark glasses
- Must be an image file (.jpg) no larger than 3MB in size
- No digital enhancements or alterations
*IF YOUR PHOTO DOES NOT MEET THE GUIDELINES, YOUR APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED*
What is a “caregiver?”
A person who has registered with the MMCC as a Caregiver, and is now legally able to purchase and transport medical cannabis from a Maryland Dispensary on behalf of his or her designated patients. A registered caregiver can serve up to five registered patients at the same time.
- 21 years old at the time of registration
- Register with MMCC
- Receive Approval from the MMCC
- Purchase an ID card from the MMCC ($50)
To apply as a Caregiver, click here
How much does the MMCC ID Card cost?
The ID Card is $50
How much Medical Cannabis can I purchase at one time?
The certification issued by your provider will tell you how much medical cannabis you can purchase in a 30-day period. The limit is calculated by a “rolling 30-day limit”-not by calendar month.
Can I buy medical marijuana at Natural Dentist Associates’ office?
No. Once you have received your certification, you can purchase medical marijuana at any Maryland certified dispensary.
When do I get my certification?
After you have been examined by a licensed provider, the provider can issue a certification immediately.
How should I use medical cannabis for my dental treatment?
Every patient’s needs are different. During your consultation, your licensed physician will make a recommendation for use based on your specific case.
What are the side effects of medical marijuana?
· increased appetite
· sleepiness or lethargy
· slower reaction time
· red eyes
· changes in mood
· impaired judgement
· difficulty concentrating
· dry mouth
· increased heart rate
What do I do after I get my certification?
You may go directly to a licensed Maryland dispensary to purchase medical cannabis.
Will my insurance cover the cos of Medical Cannabis?
Insurance companies are not required to cover the cost of medical cannabis.
Can I use my medical cannabis ID issued by another state to purchase cannabis at a Maryland dispensary?
Do I need to register with the MMCC before my appointment with a provider?
Yes. Your provider will need your MMCC patient ID number to schedule your appointment.
What happens if I am stopped by a police officer?
Medical cannabis patients do not have to disclose that they are in possession of cannabis and do not have to consent to a search. If a search is conducted, you should present your patient ID.
When do I need to renew my card?
The expiration date will be listed on your ID card. All ID cards issued after March 1, 2019 will expire 3 years after the issue date. The renewal fee is $50.